Laura Crapo aka Laura Borealis

Thursday, January 28, 2010

I have a show april 2 , 2010 at the sidewalk cafe in NYC. 9:00pm. It'll be my first usa show since 1996 or even maybe 1995. can't remember. but around then, I opened for Half-japanese at Lounge ax, under the name Crappo, maybe the last show was at the empty bottle. if i remember correctly. Anyhow. long overdue, especially from someone who is american. Certainly, having three children and going through a divorce can limit touring. I've been living in toronto and now montreal since then. I look forward to playing to americans, cause I have a pretty good handle on what it's like playing to canadians. after doing that on and off for twenty years. I'd love to play in europe sometime, too. I know when i've been an audience member there, everyone was so attentive.
Not that playing live has to be a really cool experience. I guess it tests your will to continue with music. do you really want it? if you keep coming back, you come back stronger and more sure. It's a bit like art school and the critiques. You just love art and you go through the exminations and the unsolicited remarks and if you're still holding onto something, then good, here it is. I pretty much gave up on music in like 2002 or so, and it wasn't until 2006 or so that a chance meeting with Mr. Spike Taylor resulted in him telling me that I should keep playing music. And I thought about it over the summer and came up with the "Laura" album and now I'm like making way more music than ever and in different genres. Now I love home recording. I don't know what happened. I guess it's that thing of just holding on, and riding out the weird moments, and long quiet periods. And the "why?" expressions from friends and family. Holding on to that last shred of love you have for music that no one could rip out of your hand. See, open your hand and it's still there. that tiny piece of love that can grow into concept albums. That's all you need.
So, whether i'm playing Toronto CMW in March or april in the usa, you'll see that love I have for music, and I can't guarantee how it'll come out. but it might sound like my album.

No comments:

Post a Comment