Laura Crapo aka Laura Borealis

Friday, October 29, 2010

I heard the song Birdland by Patti Smith for the first time, and I felt like for the first time i could hear what beat poetry might have been like. It was pretty good. I could never connect with her work before, I'd be surrounded by women who just adored her and I would have no input. .but hearing an NPR interview today, opened my eyes to her. People re-contextualize artists when they lump them into groups and fashion, so that's where I lost my way- getting turned off from some good bands or good artists just because the hum of intruding consensus always trying to draw the eye. it was hard for me to understand if she was part of that by wearing a uniform..i don't know, end of the day, she's a woman, a mother and an artist. And it's very nice that she wanted to give something to the kids of the future by going into the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment